So, you might be one of those stay-in moms and devout homemakers whose primary priority to make sure everything is taken cared of with your husband and children before they go to school and work. Your day might be filled with to-do things—from grocery shopping, trimming and watering the flowers in the garden, cooking the meal from breakfast to dinner, cleaning all the corners of the house, sanitizing the bathroom, washing the dishes and clothes of your loved ones—and all those hard work that people think do not consume so much time. There comes a point when you’ve to master the housework and you find yourself thinking, what else is there to do, and if there is any possible upgrade, fix up, or additional appliance that your lovely home is needing. It is your main goal anyway to make sure that everything is in order and you have resigned to the idea that your humble abode will be so cozy that your family can’t wait to go home and just stay indoor.
Here are some home fix up, probably renovation projects, house upgrades and remodelling, or simply some home drills that you need to jot down in case you have more time for home improvement in the future. Make a checklist if you wish. These are intended to guide you to become the best homemaker you could be. Go on and read away:
- Fireplace Facelift: Turn that fireplace into a comfortable area for receiving guests by adding some comfortable seats and a round coffee table near it. Why not also put some family pictures arranged on vintage frames above it as a source of conversation piece among your visitors. Paint those traditional bricks with an immaculate white hue to give the fireplace a breeze lift. Make sure too that the furnace is always free from ashes that could dance around the area when a heavy wind suddenly surges.
- New Light Bulbs: What we fail to realize is that much fraction of our electric bill can be traced to how frequent and how long we turn the lights on—and it doesn’t help when your light bulbs are not energy saving and energy efficient. Check all the light bulbs in your home, from the ones in your children’s rooms to the stockroom in your attic. If there are bulbs that need to be replaced, jot them down on your fix-up list and get things done soon. You might need a little help from your husband to do this so you might as well schedule this on a weekend to make sure he is around to assist.
- Front Stair Polishing: If you happen to be living in one of those charming wooden two-storey homes in the countryside that have beautiful entrance wooden ladders architecture with composite timber decking, then you might want to check that area of your house and it just might need your attention more. As entrance ladders are regularly stepped on, expect that they will have accumulated all sorts of specks of dirt over time. Why not clean this area thoroughly, keep a rag or have it carpeted, or better yet, polish it until it shines like sparkling diamond. The wax can be resistant to certain filthy and people tend to be more watchful when they see the surface is well polished that they may even remove their shoes before stepping on it.
- A Baking Area: Nobody can stop you from baking those red velvet cupcakes whose secret recipe you’ve stolen from your mother’s home. Having your own baking area also means you’ll have a place for those baking equipment you’ve been buying on installment over the years. It can also be a potential business idea for homemakers like you whose kingdom is their kitchen. Get those microwaves working, and set up a place for your banking haven.
- Staircase Book Nook: Have you ever wondered what to do with that space between the floor and the flights of wooden stairs leading to the second floor of your home? Why not do some remodelling and turn that area into a book nook. This is a good chance to cultivate a reading culture in your own home, too, just in case your family members are too much into their gadgets. It would be nice to have a family who actually reads real books. Plus, you yourself may be bored sometimes that this is a good time to catch up on your reading—and what better way to be reminded when you have some book shelves right there greeting you every time you are to climb the stair.
- Bare the Bar: Isn’t it cool to have your own bar so you can finally arrange those beers and wines you’ve been secretly collecting all these years? Better yet, include those varieties of coffee beans you’ve been dying to display too. Anyway, the bar area is good for receiving guests while stirring your chosen drink, too. Your kids and husband will love you more because of this brilliant idea.
- Designated Fire Exit: You can never be sure when the fire will suddenly strike no matter how cautious you are with things. Any home should have designated fire exit and a water mist system in the occasion that unfortunate incidents like this will occur. As the one in charge of your home, make sure to orient your family members about the drill and ways on how to extinguish the fire in case there is a minor one that strikes on their watch. No one is excused from such training because there can be times when someone will be left at home alone.